Friday, April 14, 2006

Theory of Objectivity


Every person at some point wields his pen in an attempt to immortalize his thoughts on a scrap of paper. I would be lying if I said my opinions were only for my personal gratification. Opinions of friends, family and the media have influenced and corrupted my thought process to a great extent and this has instilled a fear and a sense of responsibility in me .From this stems a need to maintain a level of objectivity while penning down a thought fighting the part of me which hopes to influence and even corrupt your mind on some level.

I gravely fear that all I believe in is but an accretion of varied opinions which are not truly mine and what’s worse is that these opinions which have helped build my tower of faith may have been fuelled by selfish thoughts and clouded judgments. This forms the basis of my belief in what I like to call “theory of objectivity” .Do I vote for party “X” because of my father’s constant ranting against party “Y” !!

Matrimony , Religious faith and Sexual Orientation are issues of a greater consequence. The institution of marriage is a sacred one in our country and any aberrant viewpoint is looked upon rather vulgarly. Do we get married to celebrate love ( which I highly doubt in view of living in a society which shuns love marriages) or is it a social norm? This brings to mind a professor at my college, Mr.Murgvel. You could always say there was something different about this man from the way he dashed out at the administration and ridiculed social stigmas. I recollect one of my discussions with him…. (Well actually I was eavesdropping on his conversation with another professor!!) His exact words were “ I don’t believe in the institution of marriage” he said “No one has the right to acknowledge my marriage with someone….It’s very personal”

There is an anecdote attached to the childhood of Napolean Boneaparte which seems to support this theory of objectivity. The authenticity of the story is irrelevant what is of greater consequence is its hidden inference. Legend has it that when Napolean was an infant his parents ensured that they did not infuse any fear of any sort in their son. He was never exposed to infamous stories about the boogeyman nor was he told about heaven or hell. Other children his age were petrified of the dark but of course this was obviously beyond our little war general!! The message here is simple if anyone is conditioned to feel a certain way towards a scenario he reacts the way he has been taught or accustomed to do so.

Another worry of mine is the system of education. Let us take the example of a subject say History…. I firmly believe that texts should only form the parameters on which we make our judgments. Branding leaders as notorious or incompetent is for the students to decide and not the authors’. Pandit Nehru and Gandhiji are two personalities I ve never been able to form a steady opinion on. Like the most of us I worshipped both of them as heroes of our independence struggle the reason of course – My history text book!! When I was introduced to the school of thought that Gandhiji s stand on non-violence was at the expense of the lives of man and about Panditji s stand on China and what it brought us my feelings towards them turned sour. During the course of my experimentation with this theory of objectivity I have come to realize that my new found antagonism was baseless. My opinion was not a product of reasoning but of peer influence. My peers themselves may have based their opinions on the clouded judgment of an external source or misread and misunderstood the facts surrounding these two personalities. Today I stand with an objective viewpoint waiting ever so eagerly to form an opinion based on reason and facts.

Do we practice our respective religious faiths because we have been taught to do so? Are we truly monogamous beings or is it a product social conditioning? How can I guarantee the genuineness in intent of what I have been taught over the years?

You tell me…..

13 Comments:

Blogger karthik said...

heyyyya neighbour! welcome to the big bad ugly world of blogging. its a tough world... u gotta impress your readers or they'l refuse to read.. and even if they do read (we're all jobless losers here) they'l pretend they havent by leaving no comments. anyway, interesting post.
i did psychol in school, and against my will had to learn such names as freud and pavlov... one such name, 'b.f. skinner' had a pretty interesting theory attached to it. the theory, i think theorized sometime in the 50s, was a scary conditioning theory that said that we're born empty and get filled up.... in other words, as you say, that there's no 'i', 'me' or 'mine'.. that all those are just sums of the things i'v seen, the places i'v been, and all that the people i'v met have told or taught me. the child's an empty vessel and the adult is the filled up version. well, in most cases, need i point out?, reality proves contrary. anyway, i dont totally agree, nor do most of the other names i had to learn (who, you could argue, who conditioned me), because how does thought develop in society if noone's really got anything original? you might try saying that with seven notes, a countless number of songs can be made, and similarly, that there could be countless different ideas as a combination of few original ones.... in which case our originality lies in how we mix those ideas about.... bar tenders we are! anyway, so then what bout the first coupla ideas? sure cave men couldnt have been born as slightly more full than empty.... whatever! this is driving me insane
! anyway, i gtg

9:32 PM  
Blogger Krishna Kumar. S said...

just because there's a deep freeze doesn't mean you hide in that! same way, just because i have three blogs and so does varma-ji, you should have three too. I mean you don't eat a dozen tomatoes a day do you?

2:36 AM  
Blogger Dreamer said...

@kk

try explaining that to the pseudo-socio-psycho-analysts!!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Namrata said...

Objective correlation is something that is almost impossible to put into practice. Everything we see or do is conditioned. I mean why do we have to call a tree, tree? There is no correlation between the object and the word so why can't I use something else to describe it?
B F Skinner wasn't all that far off the mark when he said we are filled up by conditioning.Scary thought isn't it that nothing is actually ours, nothing at all?Who are we, who am I? Is there a me at the end of the day? is my identity as a person my own? Is it sacrosanct?

5:05 AM  
Blogger Dreamer said...

@ gitler @varma

My argument is from a social stand point...The culmination of experiences to form our present state of mind is far from what i intended to convey..

I believe educational institutions should take it upon themselves to impart bias free teaching. Our present system not only curbs creative expression but also breeds a sense of intolerance in us. They are so stuck up on their personal ethical and moral standards that they forget the bigger picture.

Take Jeppiar for instance, His personal views dominate his administration to a great extent. As in the case of (Anna university rather the VC) with the cell phone ban.

I just wish individuals and institutions which have the power to 'bar tend' (as varma puts it) realise and recognise it and act accordingly.

11:33 AM  
Blogger tanjanali said...

its rather disturbing to think about... and as varma pointed out that wretched skinner's theory and his skinner box really freaked me out in the 12th! and hey who conducted the experiments on a baby? condition the kid to fear all things white? so ya... but here's another thought... perceptions. how do i kow that you see a colour the way i se it? or that something looks exactly the same to both of us? our perceptions of everything are defined to a large extent by our individual experiences. so we are all seeing completely different things but just believe that we're percieving it the same way. conditioning again. we're all probably blind men walking around oblivious to our handicap with society trying to describe to us what the world looks like. hmmm... red pill or blue pill?

10:55 PM  
Blogger smoke said...

I think it's impossible to form an unbiased opinion. In fact, the very term 'unbiased opinion' seems like an oxymoron. If it's an opinion, it is subjective and so cannot be free from some kind of bias. And yes, I think I agree with skinner's theory but think that it's incomplete. We're also a product of our genes which is again not anything original but a mix of our parents'. Therefore everything we are is either decided by out genes or is a reflection and a reaction to the society around us.

Oh and though i hate replying to comments on other people's blogs, i just have to say to pickled red herring, my thoughts exactly! The colour thing is something i think a lot about to. And this could explain why people have different tastes--they never like the same colours or flavours (excpet chocolate of course! :D) I hate long comments so I'll stop here.

12:40 PM  
Blogger karthik said...

there is no i no u no this no that.... there's only:
________________

which is everything and nothing.... u may call it, as i do...
the swig..... that was the answer we arrived upon, when we got puzzled by this conflict and wanted no longer for it to fuck up our kashmiri hash trips.... the god damn fuckin swig!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Dreamer said...

@flunky
if all s 'swig' when s it 'nob'?

12:30 PM  
Blogger karthik said...

knob....... forget knob.... thats jus all cock!

10:59 AM  
Blogger eyefry said...

What you seem to be referring to is the good old Nature vs. Nurture debate. There are staunch adherents to each, one attributing the ideas and actions of social units to genetics, the other to conditioning. There are, of course, merits to both, and as in any debate, the answers are rarely pure and never simple. It's almost always a mixture.

Back in college, a lot of my writing was very very influenced by that of Douglas Adams, and my liberal arts prof constantly pointed the irritant out to me. So on the one hand I had an an obsessive liking for DNA's books that was keeping me away from any other type of writing, but on the other hand there was this awareness that I could reverse all that by just moving on, reading more authors and experimenting with other forms and styles. I'd like to think I've moved on from that phase now.

In my humble opinion, at the end of the day, it's about locating and controlling your inbuilt override button...

11:51 AM  
Blogger Day said...

Education shouldn't exactly be completely unbiased otherwise it turns into observation. The purpose of education is to provide the necessary results and their meanings. To suggest that teachers only show the experiment and leave it to the students to decide what the experiment is to be used for is incomplete teaching. When it comes to history, I think it is imperative that a hero be declared along with all historical facts intact. In knowing that Gandhiji's actions cost the lives of a few, there's a lesson to be learnt for it aimed to aid millions. Teacher's have tried to put that heroism in perspective for their students.
Objectivity is understandable when conducting new research, not entirely necessary when learning. If the teacher is trying to imply something more than what he is teaching then objectivity should kick in.

Marriages in indian culture are not to show that two people are married. They are not a celebration of love for they are a celebration of a union of two families. The marriage between two people continues to be a private affair for them but the ceremony is not just for them but for all to enjoy. That needs to be understood.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Corey Wrenn said...

It's been a year and I still can't read more than one sentence of that jibberish.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home